One way to do a DBS is with a small group of people; ideally 3-6 people. If you want to do this on your own, please check out the 4-Column Study.
Prayer: Even if you don’t believe in God, you can still pray. Prayer is simply talking to God. That may seem a bit of a strange thing to do if you don’t believe in God, but can I suggest you try it. You may be surprised what happens.
Discovery Group Questions
ASK one another these questions:
- What are you thankful for?
- What’s a challenge you’re facing?
- Do you have or know of a need this group can help with?
- How did you do with last week’s ‘I will’ statement?
Pray for one another. Thank God for the good stuff and ask his help with the hard stuff.
- Read the passage out loud as a group – 2 or 3 people to read. Ideally have each person use a different translation.
- Have someone put it in their own words
- What stands out to you?
- What does this text say about Jesus or God?
- What does it say about people, individually or collectively?
- Is there an example to follow or a command to obey?
COMMIT to a course of action.
- ACTION – How can you specifically live out this passage in the next few days? (Everyone creates an ‘I will’ statement)
- PERSON – Who are you going to tell about what you discovered this week?
Pray for one another, asking that God will help each person do what they have said they want to do.
- Ask Questions, don’t teach
- Don’t just read the passage, immediately apply it by creating I Will Statements. Obedience to God is the goal
- Try to stay in the passage
- Share leadership–after a couple of weeks, let others facilitate
- Could current members lead a group of their own?